Makes 10 cups. Recipe from Liz Edmunds-The Food Nanny
*can be made meatless*
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated fat free milk
- 8 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1. Fry the bacon until crisp; drain, crumble, and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic. carrots, red and green peppers; cook and stir just until the onions are soft. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Decrease heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until the carrots are cooked.
3. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a medium saucepan until they are just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and add to the soup with the bacon. Wipe out the pan if necessary and use it for the next step.
4. Melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour and turn the heat up slightly and whisk until the mixture is bubbly. Add the milk, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens. Add to the soup.
5. Stir in the cheese and continue to cook until the cheese melts. Do not boil. Add the white pepper, salt, and thyme. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
Makes 10 cups.